There are many reasons a residential roof will need to be replaced or repaired. If you live in the greater Port Chester, New York area, L&M Roofing is the only Westchester County roofing services company you will need to contact. We are centrally located within the Tri-State area (New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania), servicing Westchester and Fairfield Counties, as well as the Five Boroughs. No job is too big or too small.
Replacing or repairing a roof is not the most exciting home renovation, and the cost can be as much as doing a “fun” kitchen or bathroom remodel; however, residential roofing replacement and repair is job number one–essential in protecting all the other home remodeling or just existing structure that will be ruined if not properly protected by a good roof.
REASONS FOR A RESIDENTIAL ROOFING REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR
Most homeowners figure they need a new roof after they spot a leak in their ceiling. Sometimes it will be an easy fix that just involves replacing flashing or just a few shingles; other times it a big problem that requires an entire roof replacement.
What factors really determine whether a roof repair will solve the problem or the house needs a roof replacement? Here are some tips to help you determine if you need a new roof:
- Roof age – how old is your existing asphalt shingle roof? A typical shingle roof should last about 25 years.
- Shingles curling and buckling – Shingles that are curled or buckling are another sign that you may need a new roof. Look at the slopes of your home that get direct sunlight and if you notice the shingles are curling and losing granules, it could mean the shingles are past their life expectancy.
- Roof valleys – If your roof shingles are falling apart or missing in this area, it’s a definite sign you need a new roof. Valleys are one of the most important areas of your roof. Snow and rain flow through valleys and into gutters. If the valley is compromised, you could be susceptible to roof leaks.
- Missing shingles – These are another sign your roof could be failing. Check to see if all of the shingle “tabs” are intact.
- Chimney flashing – If your flashing consists of roof cement or tar, it may need to be replaced with a long-term, water-tight fitting, which would be a metal flashing system.
- Daylight through the roof boards – Check your attic to see if there is any daylight coming through the roof boards. Also check for moisture in the insulation.
You may wonder if a roof repair or replacement can only be done in “good” weather, if you are limited to a few months in the summer to get the work done and you just have to live with the problem through the winter. The answer to that is no – Residential roofing contractors can expertly work in any weather; this is why we pay them to do our roofs. Weather conditions do not have to be perfect, however, any partially installed areas must be perfectly dry before any covering layers are installed. The trick behind “expert installation” in the roofing project is to have a large team of professional roofers who can knock out work phases in hours, instead of days.
L&M Roofing can do just this for you. In the New England area that we cover, L&M Roofing can accomplish a moderately-sized, professionally-installed residential roofing job in only 3 to 6 days. Contact L&M Roofing to get a free estimate for both cost and time involved as we pride ourselves in the expertise of our Westchester County roofing services staff and the competitive rates we offer. The steps to accomplish this are the following:
- Remove all existing shingles and remove.
- Make minor repairs on roof if in good condition. If not, replace bad wood with plywood or 1″x6″ boards, whichever is applicable to your roof.
- Install ice-dam protection, a barrier of synthetic materials to prevent backed up ice in the gutters which prevents ice-melt from draining away.
- Lay down asphalt paper.
- Apply the shingles – starting at the eaves and working upward.
- Apply flashing around all areas where leaks might come into the house – against the chimney, stack vents, etc.
- Install the ridge vent.
TYPES OF ROOFING MATERIALS
Your choice of roofing materials often depends on your locality, as much as on your own personal taste. L&M Roofing offers the best roofing materials available for our residential roofing customers in Connecticut, New York and Pennsylvania. Please contact us at our home office in Port Chester, New York or check out the west of the website to see the wide selection of residential roofing options we furnish to our customers. You can look through our photo galleries and read reviews and testimonials about the excellent work L&M Roofing offers you in residential roofing. See the projects we have completed in Yorktown Heights, Bedford Hills, Sleepy Hollow, Port Chester and many other communities in the Tri-State area.
Our most popular types of residential roofing materials are the following:
- Asphalt – As a leading asphalt residential roofing contractor, L&M offers both roof replacement and roof repair services. Asphalt shingles dominate the market for steep sloped roofing. Proven to be the most durable and affordable product on the market with extensive warranty protection for every budget.
- Metal – According to the National Roofing Contractors Association, the popularity of metal roofing products has increased dramatically over the past decade, a clear sign that homeowners and builders are growing more and more aware of this product’s benefits. In fact, during the last 20 years, a whole new genre of metal residential roofing materials has hit the market. These are a far cry from the corrugated “tin” barn roofs that leap to mind at the mention of metal. They are high-tech answers to the need for durable, fire-resistant, lightweight roofing that looks at home on a house. Metal roofing materials are made primarily from aluminum and steel, but other materials, such as copper and alloys, are also used.
- Synthetic Slate – Synthetic slate replicates the appearance of a slate roof without the weight of true slate which most homes are not equipped to handle. Synthetic slate is a great alternative to natural slate. Let our residential roofing specialist at L&M Roofing discuss the options with you.
- Slate and Tile – The slate and/or tile is the longest lasting option, and can be cut in a variety of decorative patterns. Slate and tile can be found on some of the oldest structures in the world. Let the tile and slate residential roofing specialist at L&M Roofing help you decide if a slate or tile roof is right for your home. We also provide slate tile repair and assessment services for homeowners in New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
- Cedar – Aesthetically, it’s hard to beat the rich rustic beauty of a cedar shingle house. Also known as “shake” shingles, they are lightweight, attractive, naturally decay resistant, fire, wind and impact resistant and offer a variety of product styles and finishes. As leading residential roofing cedar shingle roof installer we can help you decide if “shake” cedar shingles are right for your home.